Attorney Philip L. EllisonPhilip's practice focuses on representing individuals and businesses in litigation related to property and water rights, civil rights, transparency, and government accountability. He also undertakes various class action suits involving the constitutional violations by governments throughout the State of Michigan. His undertaken cases have resulted in major changes in Michigan law.
Prior to his legal career over the past decade and a half, Philip operated a web design and communications firm where served a variety of clients including various local merchants, internet service companies, and a major regional newspaper. Philip has also served as an adjunct professor of law at Saginaw Valley State University and an adjunct professor of business management at a community college in Mid-Michigan.
Born and raised in Hemlock, Philip graduated from Lake Superior State University with degrees in Business Administration and Public Relations as a Senator Philip A. Hart Scholar. He earned numerous awards and honors. He then attended Central Michigan University on a full scholarship where he earned his Master of Business Administration (MBA). While at CMU, Philip worked on a federally-funded grant that helped small and medium-sized businesses with export awareness and capacity in partnership with various economic development agencies in Michigan.
Following graduate school, Philip attended Michigan State University College of Law where he focused on business and corporate law, municipal law, and federal court practice. He served as Co-Editor in Chief of the Journal of Business & Securities Law. He was also an extern at the U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the Western District of Michigan.
- Michigan Circuit and District Courts
- Michigan Court of Appeals
- Michigan Supreme Court
- US Districts Courts - Eastern and Western Districts
- US Banktuptcy Courts - Eastern and Western Districts
- Sixth Circuit Court of Appeals
- US Supreme Court
Honors / Appointments
- Super Lawyers: 2021 - 2023
- Super Lawyers Rising Stars: 2016 - 2020
- Federally Appointed Class Counsel  
- State-Court Appointed Class Counsel
- Lake Issues - CHiLLL v Roscommon Cnty
- Farm Rights - James Twp v Rice
- Property Rights - Maniaci v Diroff
- Riparian Rights - Astemborski v Manetta
- Due Process - People v Beck [Discussion]
- FOIA - Ahmad v Univ of Michigan [Video]
- Class Action - Taylor v City of Saginaw
- Constitutional Rights - Kanuszewski v Hertel
- Open Meetings Act - Spalding v Swaicki
- Police Corruption - Bitterman v Oakley
- Michigan State University College of Law - Juris Doctor (JD) (cum laude)
- Central Michigan University - Master of Business Administration (MBA)
- Lake Superior State Univ - Bachelor of Science - Business Admin/Public Relations (minor)
- Lake Superior State Univ - Associates Degree - Personal Computer Specialist